Last Friday I read this moving story by a woman who became pregnant as a senior at Notre Dame 10 years ago and chose to have her baby, despite a lack of support from her boyfriend. She wanted to ask Fr. Jenkins, "Who draws support from your decision to honor President Obama—the young, pregnant Notre Dame woman sitting in that graduating class who wants desperately to keep her baby, or the Notre Dame man [like her boyfriend] who believes that the Catholic teaching on the intrinsic evil of abortion is just dining-room talk?" I don't think he's listening at this point. Extremely disappointing.
I was finally motivated, though, to go back to the Planned Parenthood off Greenville that I prayed at a few times last Lent. This time I brought Michael with me and had him in the sling while we stood on the sidewalk praying. In a very small way, I hope that witness helps. How can a cute baby not help? It was a good experience. I met someone who knows Chris (naturally!) and talked with the woman who prays there every morning. We said a rosary, and Michael was great -- he was eating the rosary beads, mostly, since we used the nice, colorful wooden child's rosary he got for his baptism :) We will try to go back this Friday.
Students at ND are organizing a prayerful demonstration during the commencement. They could use your prayers too.
No comments:
Post a Comment