Monday, October 13, 2008

You have to start somewhere

Last week I mustered my resolve and did something I haven't done before - decided to try and see if I could make a small change to how things are done musically at our parish.  (In the past, I (or Mike and I) have either gone to another parish or just accepted things more quietly.)  I wrote to the music director at our parish and asked if/how the beautiful organ at the parish is used.  I asked if anyone has ever asked him about starting a schola or more traditional choir group to learn chant and integrate that somewhat into the Mass, as I have been exposed to that more in the last two years than in the rest of my life to that point.*  I expressed sincere interest in learning more of this music, if he was willing to teach it, as I've been picking up what I can from the parishes I have attended in the last few years but it's still not completely familiar since it's still relatively new to me.

I also mentioned, in charity, that the Vatican has directed all bishops and parishes not to use the word "Yahweh" in music or liturgy any more, in observance of long-standing ecclesial tradition.  (We sang "Yahweh, I know you are near" a few weeks ago.)

I think I took the right tone (I tried really hard) because the reply I got from the music director was very nice.  He said they do use the organ sometimes, and he has had the choir learn at least one Latin song for an ordination Mass, so he does have some knowledge of these types of music.  However, he said I am the first person in his 13 years at the parish to express any interest in chant or more traditional music (!) so he does not have any current plans to introduce this.  He said he is afraid that he does not use many songs that I would prefer, but he would still like to meet me and talk about things further.  (He also wasn't aware of the proscription against using "Yahweh," but he would observe it now.)

This was better than I expected - no defensiveness or outright dismissal!  So I've been thinking about how to approach our discussion that I agreed to set up with him.  I think I am going to just emphasize that the songs he uses are certainly familiar to me, as it's what I grew up with - I know all the words and verses too, and like many of them!  I've just gotten exposed to more of the Church's rich musical tradition in the last few years, and appreciate some of the older hymns that I also think it's good to know most of the words and verses to.  Maybe we could introduce just one of these every Mass?  Additionally, for choir-only pieces at communion, why not have the choir learn some polyphony or interesting arrangements of classic hymns, instead of the same modern stuff?   (I will try to phrase this politely - I think a lot of it is wimpy and musically trite, but that's not great to say!)  His main goal in Mass is to have the congregation participate fully.  I think that's fine, but I can point out that traditional hymns are sometimes even easier to get the congregation to sing because they are musically straightforward (though not uninteresting), often with stronger lyrics.  In any event, it's worth a try.  And then if anyone else ever comes forward and asks for this type of music, he can't say no one else has ever asked!  I do think there may be a change in the future, as the text of the Mass changes with the new translations in a couple of years.  But in the meantime, I feel like I have to say something.  And we will be getting involved in other groups at the parish so that we can become more a part of the community we are a part of now, even if the liturgy itself is less than edifying sometimes.

*One random thing I realized yesterday at Mass was that the first time I ever heard the words "dona nobis pacem" and sang them was in my eighth-grade public school choir.  (!!!)  The next time probably wasn't until I moved to Maryland and started attending Holy Cross.  Even at ND, I'm pretty sure the traditional Agnus Dei was rarely heard (although I know it is more commonly now).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

FYI- Agnus Dei is sung at most every mass at the basilica except the folk choir mass.

Kim said...

I am really glad to hear that! I went to dorm Mass pretty much the entire time I was at ND so of course that was more informal. I really enjoyed and appreciated that at the time, but was just observing I never learned/picked up "qui tollis peccata mundi" and so forth until after law school when I moved to Maryland.