I am totally bummed! The last several years that I've been living on my own I have bought a little candy for Halloween and decorated my door to say trick-or-treaters were welcome, but only a few kids (read: one or two) have come by because I was in an apartment complex in a fourth-floor walkup. But this year, Mike and I bought several big bags of really good candy because now we are in a nice house in a nice neighborhood, and we know there are lots of kids around. (Our parish has to have a thousand of them!) I was really looking forward to handing out the candy. Mike pulled out the little Halloween decorations from around the house and put them near the front door, and made sure all the lights were on.
So here it is, 7:15, and while we saw a few families walking across the street (including a little Darth Vader) we only had three groups of kids come in the last hour and a half (and not the little Darth Vader). Where did all the kids go? I am so disappointed! Maybe we'll bring some candy to the game watch tomorrow. Otherwise, we've got enough to keep Mike and all visiting family members stocked for a month or two at least. (Oh okay, and me too, since once the baby's born I assume chocolate will stop giving me instant heartburn :)
UPDATE: Okay, we just got several more trick-or-treaters. Yay! I made sure to give them all handfuls of candy since there is apparently no need to ration.
3 comments:
We ran into a similar problem. Last year, we went through a short ton of candy in an hour. We couldn't believe how busy our doorstep was. This year, barely anyone stopped by, though we heard many groups of kids walking PAST our house. Alex was practically at the point of tracking trick-or-treaters down on the street to give them goodies. Were the kids bummed about the upcoming election? Was it the razor blades Alex insisted we hand-out last year? It's a mystery!
i was super excited to hand out candy too, being in my first house and all... i bought 5 bags!!! i watched groups of kids walk by without stopping and then found out from the neighbor that 99% of them won't stop to knock - they only stop at the houses where someone is sitting outside! too lazy to walk up the front stairs and risk someone not being home? who knows. either way, once i stopped scrubbing the bathtub clean and went to sit out on the porch my candy was literally gone in a half hour! crazy.
Apparently Halloween isn't what it used to be! Weird.
Post a Comment