Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Messier parts

Tonight was our last "Prepared Childbirth" class.  I still think it was very useful and informative overall.  A pediatrician came to answer questions for about a half-hour, which was great.  She suggested finding a pediatrician closer to where you work or where childcare will be, and starting to interview them now since well-baby visits start pretty early on (and I guess if your baby's not well, they also start early).  I don't have this figured out yet though -- the hospital is close to our work right now, but 15 miles from home.  What if Mike gets a job in a different area than downtown?  I'll be home for six months -- do I want to drive downtown that much?  I don't know if we'll find a nanny, an in-home daycare up near our house, or a daycare downtown.  In the end, finding a good doctor is probably more important than where he or she is located.  We can always switch in the future if we need to.  Also -- Mike and I asked about how doctors diagnose asthma in babies and if there's anything we should watch for, given Mike's experience.  She said newborns don't develop it early (antibodies from breast milk and stable, good home environments help) but since it is genetic to an extent, keep an eye out and then if there were to be a few separate incidents, asthma could be a diagnosis (as opposed to just an infection or bronchitis).  We already know we have no smoking, no cats and our artificial Christmas tree, so hopefully the most obvious type triggers won't be around in the first place :)

We did get into some of the unattractive details in tonight's class, though, like the lovely giant hospital diaper pads *for mom* to wear around after water breaking and after delivery, the gaping hospital gowns, and of course the birth video to wrap things up.  Did we have to end with the birth video?  Now I'm all freaked out again.  I know they say modesty goes out the window when you give birth, but anytime I see one of these things I just feel like it's an intensely personal experience that *does not need* to be on video for other people to see.  Husband, nurses and doctor.  That seems about all to me.  Then you can be all weepy and emotional, then get yourself together, brush your hair, and invite people in to see the new baby.

No comments: