Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Hungry baby

Today I took Michael for his second pediatrician appointment.  It was my first trip out with him alone, and everything went swimmingly . . . except that I forgot the diaper bag after I packed it!  Oh well.  My food source is portable and I changed him before we left.

The baby did great at the doctor's office even though we were there a long time since she was running behind.  He had to get some blood drawn from his heel and he got his hepatitis-B vaccine.  He cried for both of those but I was nursing him so he calmed down okay.  He only weighs 8 pounds, though -- didn't quite make it back to birth weight yet.  The doctor said he looks like he's doing great, she just wants me to watch a few things to make sure he's getting enough milk.  So I need to be careful to drink more water, and I'm also looking again at the breastfeeding books my mom got me to make sure he really is latching correctly.  (It certainly feels like it!  But I'm paying more attention.)  Michael has been mostly conked out this afternoon after his shot but has nursed twice for awhile, so no naps for Mom.  Oh well!

2 comments:

patricia said...

Please try not to let the doctor worry you. I'm sure he's doing great. If he weren't getting enough to eat, you'd know (you would have a baby more or less constantly attached to your boob). I know how freaky it can make you feel when the doctor makes you doubt that you're feeding him enough, but so long as he's eliminating regularly and continuing to gain weight, even if more slowly than the doctor might expect, HE'S FINE.

Of course listen to your doctor, but please try not to be in a tizzy of worry about this.

Kim said...

Thanks. I haven't been *too* worried, just trying to pay more attention. Hopefully she'll say everything is fine when we go back tomorrow!