Monday, April 11, 2011

Word issues

Michael's first real couple of sentences/replies have been in Spanish in the last week, which probably shouldn't surprise us but it is pretty funny.  On Friday when Mike and I got home we asked him, "Qué comiste hoy?" (What did you eat today?) and he answered, "Comí manzanas y melón!"  (I ate apples and cantaloupe!)  Then, all weekend he kept putting his hands over his ears and, not necessarily at the same time, making monkey noises.  I figured out he was being a monkey so I went with it, making the same noises and telling him that monkeys have to eat nicely and listen to their mommies.  This morning Elizabeth told me they had been playing monkeys by making the noises and pulling their ears out, so everything made a lot more sense (i.e., why Michael ran away from his Aunt Theresa on Sunday pulling his ears out :).  I told him, "Michael!  Tienes que usar tus palabras!"  (You have to use your words (to tell me these things)!)  He looked at me a moment and then answered very dramatically, "No pueeeeedo!!"  (I caaaan't!!)  Nice.

No comments: