Saturday, July 31, 2010

Mini-me?

So, it's undeniable that little Michael looks like his dad, specifically, and definitely a Lawler in general. But he certainly has some of my features as well -- I think his eyes and hair are closer to mine. And he also has some of my peculiarities. For one thing, the poor little guy apparently is just as allergic to mosquito bites as I am. He has gotten some nasty red welt-like bites on his calves and arms this week, I assume from stray mosquitos making it inside the house since we do use insect repellent outside :( (In keeping with his usual self, though, he seems generally unfazed by the giant lumps, whereas I would be itching like mad and taking Benadryl, rubbing itch cream, etc.)

Another thing Michael is apparently like me on is resistance to change. Cue Blackwell family laughter here. I had to share one incident this month that my family got to see in San Antonio but which was really illuminating to me. We had to switch sippy cups after Michael chewed on the lids for his old ones and cracked them. I checked two different stores and all kinds of cups to find one as normal as possible, and finally found a good one that I don't use the spillproof insert on, so it drinks more like a regular cup. It's better than the old ones he was using. But we tried to introduce this in San Antonio and he absolutely refused it over multiple meals. Would not drink from it, pushed it away at the table, and generally made it known he would go without water rather than accept this cup. My dad was really patient with him and finally it got to point at dinner one night where my dad gave him water from this cup by picking it up with a straw and transferring it to Michael, which he (grudgingly) accepted. Bit by bit this led to the cup being placed closer to him, to letting us put a straw in the cup so he'd sip out of it that way, to finally by the time we got back from San Antonio, he had no problem. It's now his cup, no question, no hint there was ever a problem.

Oh, goodness. We're putting off the change to sleeping the middle room, as I've said before, after three weeks last month of having tried to accustom Michael to sleeping in there. I'm not messing with a good sleep set-up for him with this new baby coming (note to baby: any day now would be great, thanks). But is it going to take another three weeks to make that change when he's two?? We shall see.

No comments: