Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Two levels

Yesterday we got a "State of the Practice" email from our practice group heads, talking about the state of the commercial real estate market and some upcoming projects and client development at work.  One project looks like it could be Round #3 of deals I have worked on twice before and gotten to travel to New York for.  They lasted for months the last times, so maybe I can get on that team when I go back to work.  They also told us we are having a practice group meeting this year, which we haven't done since 2006, right before I officially joined the group.  I was bummed at missing it last time, since it was at the Ritz in Orlando, and promised meetings never materialized since then!  This one will be in Atlanta at the end of May.  I'm happy I'll (hopefully!) get to see my friend in that office.  It will be a long four days to leave Michael with the nanny (Amanda =) and Mike, though!

Work-wise, I'm also trying to get a draft of our Texas end-of-life issues letter ready to circulate to the St Thomas More Society team in the next few days.

So work has been on my mind lately -- and yet, what's actually comprising my days?  Yesterday's big notes were that 1) I managed to fit into one of my pairs of pre-pregnancy jeans (yay!) , 2) I did the dishes and a few loads of laundry, 3) I paid some bills, and 4) I managed to destroy three pillows in the washing machine (oops).  Not exactly high-minded stuff . . . oh well :)  Hanging out with this guy is fun:

img_2568

Speaking of weight, I am now down to just 19 pounds over pre-pregnancy weight.  My goal now is to lose 1 to 2 pounds per week from now until when I return to work, which I think is realistic and would let me be back in my regular professional wardrobe.  I took Michael for a mile walk yesterday and plan to do that every day this week,* I'm back to my healthy choice lunches, and Mike and I have been cooking even more than normal, so hopefully I will see some progress over time.

*This is modest compared to all my siblings, who are suddenly training for marathons and stuff, but I have to start somewhere :)

2 comments:

patricia said...

Two things:

1. I'm so annoyed that the meeting is in Atlanta this year! I want to go someplace fun! I'll still be on leave but I'm going to try to make it to the meeting- it's too good an opportunity to meet all the people I work with and have never seen in person.

2. Good for you if you can get back into your pre-preg wardrobe by the time you go back! I didn't have problems with the weight, but the shape- there was much more tummy there, even if the number on the scale was the same. But I went back after 12 weeks, so maybe since you have more time, it will work out better. I can't take any unpaid time this time, but between vacation and leave I can get 4 months, so hopefully I can be back in normal clothes when I come back.

Kim said...

I hear you. The NAG Academy is always in DC so I didn't even get a hotel stay out of that my first year :) I really hope you're able to make it at least some of the time this year though -- I remembered you'd be on leave but it would be nice to see you! (And maybe Caetlin and Segunda too :)

On the wardrobe, oh, trust me, there's still a little pooch over the waistband, but I was still just excited to be wearing a regular pair of pants. The maternity ones look normal enough and are fine, but it was the principle of the thing! However, my work clothes are definitely more tailored so I want my waist to go down slightly. And I would be happy to see the number on the scale, too. Here's hoping!!