Sunday, June 19, 2011

FFF 2011 - Meteor Crater

This past week we had a wonderful time with the fam at FFF 2011: Arizona edition.  I will not be able to write about it all at once, but I wanted to get at least one post up before heading back to work tomorrow.  On our first day in northern Arizona, the Lawler clan headed out to Meteor Crater.  It might seem that a giant hole in the ground wouldn't have much to recommend itself, but it is unique in being one of the best preserved meteorite craters in the world -- it looks like a moon crater.  Created by a huge meteorite 50,000 years ago, it's almost a mile in diameter and over 500 feet deep.  There is a neat little visitor's center with space-themed exhibits and an Apollo capsule.  Those without little kids would probably enjoy hiking around the rim of the crater, but we settled for walking down only to the fenced-off observation deck.  Mike and I thought it was pretty cool and we really enjoyed the visit.








No comments: