
It has been one week since the last time Michael wanted to nurse. I think that means he is completely, officially weaned, as of 14.5 months, so I thought I should mark the time! I stopped pumping at 12 months, but continued nursing him consistently for the next six weeks, and then for a little while after that just at night, every couple of nights. I am sure there wasn't any milk left by the end, but he wasn't nursing for milk at that point anyway, just like a little "checking in" kind of reassurance. But gradually he let me put him to sleep without nursing, and now it seems that's all through. I feel pretty happy about how the process happened overall -- partly me-led, partly baby-led, and on what seemed like a natural progression. That is what weaning is supposed to be, right? The only thing that makes me sad is not the weaning itself, it's just the feeling every day that I love Michael as a little baby, with chubby little hands and feet, two bottom front teeth, a tummy that sticks way out when he's running, and those great cheeks. He just keeps getting bigger and I think I'm going to miss this baby stage when it's through.
No comments:
Post a Comment