Sunday, August 30, 2009

New food

Work has been rough the last few weeks, culminating in having to unexpectedly stay pretty late at the office Thursday and Friday. I was so frustrated at only getting to see the baby for 30 minutes on Thursday and 20 minutes on Friday -- and then I had a day trip planned to Atlanta for yesterday too! The trip by itself would have been fine, but combined with the other two days I just missed my baby :( (So, so grateful that Michael the dad is here though -- he was so understanding and helpful with the job stuff, and of course is great with the baby :) So today we had a great time just hanging out the whole day! :) Took a walk and played in the morning, went swimming in the afternoon and went to Target in the evening to buy some vegetables and couscous (I know -- that was a first for me), among other things, to start making new types of food for Michael the baby to try out. Michael also took some pretty good naps today before church and before swimming.

Tonight we used the vegetable steamer that goes with our rice cooker to do peas and carrots. Michael has only had them pureed before. He worked very hard on picking up individual peas and pieces of carrots with his fingers and was pretty successful at chewing them even though he only has two teeth. He definitely liked the experience! (Although he also liked it when I just put peas on a spoon and fed him -- more efficient.) We got a food processor earlier this week and are going to use a book called "First Meals" that Mrs. Lawler gave us awhile back to start making different types of meals for the baby that will be safe to eat but still let him try out new textures. By kid #3 or 4, I'm sure this whole process won't seem so adventurous, but it's fun to be going through now. Elizabeth is looking forward to cooking some chicken and vegetable sopitas for the baby too.

(The picture doesn't go with the post -- it's from last week when the videos were taken -- but I forgot to post it then and I didn't get Michael eating peas tonight. So there you go :)

No comments: