Tuesday, July 7, 2009

More milestones

Michael can't say any distinct words yet or anything, but when it comes to his physical activities he definitely seems to be a quick study. Ever since he started pulling to a stand three weeks ago (around 7 months old), he's been doing it with everything. He doesn't like to stand in the exersaucer as much anymore -- he'd rather be standing on the outside of it to play with the same toys. And last week he started working hard on lowering himself to a sit from standing up, which apparently doesn't usually happen until 9 months or so. This has involved a lot of crashes forwards, backwards and sideways, but he usually seems unfazed (we just keep a close eye out for the corner of the coffee table) and he gets visibly better at it every day. It is so entertaining to see him stand up on everything, and I love, love, love how he was taking steps with the walker Amanda found for him today.

He's also figured out how to bounce in the Tigger jumper, after basically just lounging in it for a few weeks. And last Thursday, overnight he up and decided he wanted to crawl in the normal fashion (a "cross-crawling" method with opposite arm and leg in synch, something babies don't usually start to do until 9 or 10 months), so he do es that now too! It's a tiny bit awkward getting that coordination down, so if he can't move fast enough he goes back to the frog hop -- but so neat to see all this coming together for him!

I am rolling my own eyes at how excited I am over all this stuff, but hey, I am a new parent, so that's what I'm supposed to do, right? :) And I don't care about milestones per se -- I didn't walk until I was 16 months old, apparently, and every kid develops at his own pace -- I'm more amused that I have a kid who can do squats and pull-ups better than me. Mike says we should get Coach Weis to bring him up for a workout :)

No comments: