Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Atlanta

Last Thursday I had to go to Atlanta for a business trip (firmwide practice group meeting for the group I work with) for three nights. I was worried about how Michael would do with me disappearing for three days. When I asked at the La Leche League meeting, the leaders asked if I could just take him with me. I thought that was pretty unlikely ... but then I checked fares, and they were reasonable, and I asked Amanda if she'd be willing to come along and take care of the baby there, and she said yes. So, the three of us went on my business trip! I'm so glad it worked out -- kept me from having to pump around the clock for three days, and also kept Mike from being traumatized overnight back here. Michael has adjusted pretty well to me being at work so far, but I think if I disappeared for that long it would be a little rough.

The meeting was at the W Midtown in Atlanta. I've stayed at that hotel before on business trips to New York, and it is so postmodern and trendy, every elevator ride feels like you're at a club. There are black platform beds and modern couches, with trendy lighting fixtures, and dim lights all around. All in all, kind of a weird hotel and definitely not my style. It's perfectly nice, just ... not my style. Unfortunately I think it threw Michael off also. He is now a pretty veteran traveler who adjusts pretty well to different cities, but he did not sleep well AT ALL the whole weekend. He and Amanda did great for the most part -- there was a park in walking distance, a food court and some walkable areas around the hotel, and Amanda got to see a few friends -- but he hardly napped for her, and he woke up every two hours for me at night. He was just so stubborn, he wouldn't calm down to sleep like normal. I think something must have just felt different about the environment, even with Amanda's helpful sleep sounds machine. My co-workers who met Michael thought he was great, though, especially because he slept the whole plane ride home -- ha.

The meeting was not well organized overall, but some of the presentations were interesting and I tried to make the most of saying hello to co-workers I talk to and work with all the time but rarely get to see in person -- I do a lot of work for our other U.S. offices. It was great to meet the guys from Madrid and practice my Spanish too (they actually think my accent is good, in contrast to my Ecuadorian in-laws who make fun of my Castilian Spanish). They invited me to bring Mike there and call them, and they will show us around. I haven't been to Spain since my study abroad there (I won't even mention how many years ago now), and I would LOVE to go back. So I'll definitely have to take them up on that.

The best part of this business trip was getting to see Patricia, who I'd actually only ever gotten to meet in person one time before, at a closing in New York two years ago (!), but who has become a great friend since then. I finally got to meet her husband, her little baby girl and her toddler who is adorable and is going to be my future goddaughter :) We went to church on Saturday night at Christ the King cathedral and I enjoyed the beautiful music there (sadly, continues to be a contrast to our own parish). In all, I am extremely grateful to Amanda for coming with me so I could bring Michael and have a good business trip without worrying about him.

4 comments:

Elisa said...

I LOVE this picture :) I miss my Little Buddy.

Patricia said...

Yay! We love the Blackwell/Lawler family in the ATL!

Patricia said...

Which reminds me, you need to send me your mom and dad's contact info for when we're in Orlando in July.

Kim said...

Thanks! I definitely will :)