Wednesday, December 3, 2008

A little extra

Yesterday Michael and I took two trips out, one to the pediatrician and one to Target.  He did a great job with both!  Unfortunately, though, he has still not gained a single ounce of weight since last week.  It looks like there are no problems at all with the baby -- so they must be with me :(  The doctor suggested a couple of different things we should do to make sure he is getting enough milk: I am supposed to try pumping a little bit after each feeding to stimulate more supply, and I need to increase the number of calories I am taking in every day.  I am pretty sure that last is accurate, since I don't have any increased appetite at all over normal, so I'm pretty sure I have not been eating an extra 500 calories or whatever I need.  My mom suggested calling the La Leche League to ask for suggestions on what to do here, since I really don't want to (for instance) go on the extra-Big-Mac-per-day diet at this point!  Also, for the short term, I am supposed to feed Michael about a half-ounce to ounce of formula after each feeding.  Poor boy -- when I gave him some yesterday, his eyes got wide and alert and he drank two ounces at the first try!  (Since then it's just been an extra half ounce or so.)  So I guess he does need a little more food.  At least this means Dad can help a little bit with the feedings, which he is happy to do:

[caption id="attachment_409" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="A new person to help with feedings"]A new person to help with feedings[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_410" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Both Michaels seem happy with the arrangement!"]Both Michaels seem happy with the arrangement![/caption]

Michael was a little more alert and less fussy last night after he got some extra milk, so I think the supplements are helping already.  Hopefully when we go back to the doctor on Friday morning he will have gained an ounce or two.  In the meantime, I am trying to relax and just focus on helping him do the best he can to thrive!

[caption id="attachment_411" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Normal feeding"]Normal feeding[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_412" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="And a happier baby overall :)"])[/caption]

1 comment:

Minh said...

I love the hat!