Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Things Joseph says

I have to keep a record of these things, because I will never remember them all in the future ... or believe they came from a three-year-old!  Note: Most of these conversations happen in the car, at completely random times.

Joseph, in March (so just turned three): Mom, did you know it is women's history month?
Me: I guess you learned some things at school today!
Joseph: Yes. I learned about Maria Montessori.  Maria Montessori was a doctor.

Joseph [pointing to collar bone]: What's this bone?
Me: It's your collar bone.  It's above your ribs, and your ribs protect your lungs and heart.
Joseph: Yes.  And God is in my heart!

Joseph: [K] sits with me at lunch.  Sometimes she's my friend.  But sometimes she's not.
Me: It sounds like you and K have an interesting relationship.
Joseph [thinking for a minute]: Yes!  It's a sym-bi-otic relationship. Like a rhino and an oxpecker.

Mike, picking up the kids from school one day: So where do you think your mom is?
Michael and Malcolm: At work.
Joseph: At work.  But Oscar thinks she's at a restaurant.
Malcolm: You don't know that, Joseph.  Oscar can't talk.
Joseph: But that's what he's thinking.  He thinks thoughts in his brain.

Joseph: Mom, why are you sad?
Me: I don't know, that just happens sometimes.
Joseph: Yeah.  Like when Jesus died, that was a very sad thing. I don't know why the soldiers got him because he didn't do anything bad. 
Me: You're right, Joseph.  He was good, so that was sad.  But then he rose from the dead, and it was a miracle.
Joseph: So we are happy!  I feel better now.

So did I, sweet boy.  You sure do have an amazing mind.

1 comment:

Russ said...

Thanks for sharing these. Random recall is a fascinating event, and to make those recalls relevant is just amazing for this little boy. Always aware of the people around him, especially his mama. Love that little man. Just so full of love - for people and for life. I hope he never loses that. He will enjoy reading these later, as will the rest of us. Save for his wedding video.......