Joseph cut his last main two teeth - the bottom incisors - two weeks ago. He was very grumpy and bothered about it, but once they made it through he seemed to be back to normal. Relatedly I think, that weekend was also the weekend we weaned. I nursed Michael for almost 14 months, Malcolm for about 16 months, and now Joseph for...26. Because he really wanted to keep doing it and it was important to him, and I didn't mind and was (mostly) happy to keep it up. It was down to nighttime and naptime on the weekends for the last few months but he still wanted to. When I saw he was getting distracted, it was a very noticeable change within the space of a couple of days, so it was an easy call to make. He was really sad about it for two days ("because I crying"), and then he moved on without a backwards glance. (Except for some lingering grumpiness about precisely how it's acceptable for me to put him to sleep, as opposed to Dad.) I was really sad, surprisingly so, for two days also. Dr. Google told me it was because I was no longer producing oxytocin. But La Leche League also said, unsurprisingly, it's because it just represents moving on from an important stage. No more nursing my baby now. It is bittersweet.
For all those who think I'm a crazy attachment mama in other various ways too, I finally turned Joseph around in the car seat at about 25 months. (The others stayed rear facing until about 20 months.) No regrets about doing that, either :) But Joseph was quite happy to be able to climb in and out of his seat "all myself". With getting in and out of the car, as well as most other things lately, including taking off his pants, Joseph's favorite phrase is "I do it! Joseph do it!" (He uses pronouns quite well, but in case we dim parents don't get it, he'll clarify for us by using his own name... :) Getting to be quite an independent little toddler. Sweet boy :)

No comments:
Post a Comment