Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Washington trip, part 1

For Spring Break this year we were very excited to take a family trip to Washington, DC for Noni's 80th birthday.  Mike and his mom arranged it to surprise Noni.  This was our first trip to DC in several years, and Joseph's first time there.  The boys were really excited about going.  Mike and I were happy to be flying direct from Love Field on Southwest, now that the Wright Amendment has finally, finally expired!  The newly updated airport was great.  It even had a playroom for kids - genius.

Donuts for breakfast...ready to go!
Kids' play area in the main terminal
Since the flight was about two weeks before Joseph's second birthday, we got him on the plane without a ticket.  Fortunately the kids are small enough that we could fit four to the row for a little while, so he didn't have to sit on my lap the whole time.  We stocked the diaper bag with snacks, coloring books, and calculators/little toys, and Mike brought the tablet and headphones so we could pull that out when needed, too - and everything mercifully went great!  We were able to fly directly into DCA, where we rented a car for the week.  Mike did a great job remembering how to navigate the bizarrely-unmarked exits to the Memorial Bridge and get us onto Rock Creek Parkway ... and it was crazy how familiar the drive back to Cleveland Park felt.

Watching Curious George and Brother Francis
Noni was so surprised to see everyone at the apartment.  She was very happy :)  Grandma thoughtfully got the boys a twisty track toy with a little fire truck and police car to play with, so they were happily occupied with that during some of our time there over the week.  Noni and Grandma ensured the boys had plenty to eat right from the beginning, of course.  Noni was happy everyone ate the rice and lentils that are one of her specialties.  I'm pretty sure I ate several helpings, too...  It was special to see how quickly Noni connected with the boys again right away.  The first afternoon, I dozed on the couch at nap time while the big boys were supposed to be resting in Noni's room (Joseph was napping in the other room).  Instead of sleeping, I heard Michael and Malcolm telling Noni all about their school, and things in Texas, and all sorts of other things, and they were all making each other laugh.

Noni with three of her great-grandchildren
It was a little surreal to come into the apartment this time.  I was reflecting on the fact that when I first drove out to meet Mike in 2003, I could hardly have imagined coming back there twelve years later, with us having been married for eight years now and having three kids!  We are certainly blessed.


No comments: