Monday, September 3, 2012

Life with a three-year-old

Tonight for dinner, we made pasta with ground turkey and peppers (red, yellow, green - from a frozen mix we like).  Michael has loved this combination in the past.  He was extremely cheerful as we prepared it and got his fork and drink ready ahead of time, waiting until everything cooled off and dinner was served ... whereupon he promptly announced that "I don't LIKE peppers, Mama!" and burst into tears.  This turned into a full-on meltdown at the table.  I told him I was sorry he was sad, but if he wanted to cry he couldn't do it at the table.  Finally I had to remove him to his room.  I didn't close the door, so he slammed it dramatically for me and flopped on his bed to wail for awhile.  After a few minutes, I went back to get him and told him he could have some crackers if he didn't want pasta.  He accepted this and came back to eat some crackers, while I took his bowl and said, "Wow, I love peppers, so I'll just eat your dinner."  After I ate all the peppers there was some pasta left so Michael asked if he could eat it.  I said fine.  He finished that and then said, "Oh, let me check the pot on the stove and see if there is any more.  Can I please have some pasta and peppers?  I LOVE peppers, Mama."

He ate an entire helping.

No comments: