Thursday, September 8, 2011
Personal pronoun breakthrough
One day last week, Michael was intently watching his favorite Sesame Street YouTube videos with Mike. Then they switched to a Corrs cover of the Jimi Hendrix song Little Wing, and Michael said suddenly, "I like this song." It was the first time he really had ever used "I" so specifically in a sentence like that - very surprising! (I think in "I love you" it is more of a phrase, not a consciously-used pronoun, and other times it's been indistinct.) It seems to have occasioned a breakthrough. Last night he told me, listening to the Sesame Street CD, "It's Grover's song. I like this song too." And at the breakfast table this morning, "I'm eating Rice Pockets. I like cereal too." After that he ran over to see me on the couch and said, "I'm so happy to see you!" Wow. Way to practice the language skills, Michael! It's so much fun to watch him develop.
Labels:
Michael III
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment