Friday, February 25, 2011

A-choo

Today I went to an allergist for the first time in my life.  I have had a miserable week, allergy-wise, since a 25mph wind battered me on the way to and from the park last weekend and apparently delivered large quantities of evil particles directly to my sinuses.  Mike, who sadly has dealt with allergies and asthma since the age of eighteen months, has been bugging me to see an actual doctor for some time now, so I finally did.  They did the skin prick tests to see what I am allergic to and pinpoint what seasons might be bad for me, or other things to be alert to.  As for seasons, the answer appears to be "all of them."  I blew up with cedar and mesquite (along with other trees,that's spring through fall), six different kinds of grasses (now through fall), and multiple weeds (fall and winter).  (Mid summer appears to be my best time of year :)  I also reacted badly to dust mites, household dust, and most impressively, cats.  I knew that last one already, but with cats and with the rest of them, I think the biggest feeling I had is one of relief that it's not all in my head!  The doctor was understanding about me nursing and prescribed a few things that are safe while nursing to try and get a handle on all of these.  She also said I'm a good candidate for shots, but we agreed we'd really prefer to try regular remedies first.  Here's hoping I wake up not congested tomorrow.  And now I may take my mom up on her offer (also known as "a 30th birthday present") to get our house professionally cleaned :)

No comments: